#TaketheChallenge: 10,000 Steps for 3Ts
Structure and imperfect action are incredibly important for mental wellness. So, we’d like you to embark on a 30-day challenge for the month of January. 3Ts have teamed up with iDonate to kick start 2020 with a challenge that will help you boost your mental wellness and raise money for 3Ts suicide prevention initiatives in Ireland. We’re suggesting 10,000 Steps for 3Ts, but you can do whatever challenge suits you.
Join 3Ts and do 10,000 Steps a day
3Ts are calling on participants to join our 10,000 steps a day challenge this January and help raise funds for 3Ts. We receive no state support and are funded solely through our fundraising activities and those of our supporters and charity partners, all of which are essential for us to continue our work in suicide prevention & intervention in Ireland.
Why 10,000 Steps?
Reaching 10,000 steps everyday is proven to improve overall mental health and well-being in participants. Sounds like a lot, but if you consider it takes just over 2,000 steps to do a half-an-hour around the supermarket, you’re well on your way to hitting your goal.
How to fundraise for 3Ts
10,000 steps a day is not for me!
If 10,000 steps a day doesn’t inspire you or you feel you can’t commit to it, why not come up with your own personal #3TsChallenge? Through idonate, you can set up your own challenge, or alternatively, set up a Facebook Fundraiser. (See Link below to find out how to set-up FB Fundraisers).
We have come up with some alternative 30-day challenge ideas to kick start your new year with some achievable goals.
- Couch to 5KM – build up your stamina to by walking, jogging, or running 5K a week for the month of January.
- Veganuary – 30-day Vegan diet challenge – we all know the benefits of moving towards a plant-based diet for our health and for the planet. After the excesses of Christmas, now is a good time to try out veganism.
- Veguary – 30-day Vegetarian diet – ease yourself into a plant-based diet by becoming a vegetarian for a month.
- Dry January – Recovering from the silly season with a month of no alcohol.
- Cycle to work – Boycott the car and public transport and use your daily commute as opportunity to exercise.
- Meditate / Mindfulness breathing – dedicate a minimum of 10 minutes a day for a month.
- No Coffee – fed up with the post-coffee jitters? Skip the coffee & donate the cost of your daily cup.
- Public Transport – Get out of that traffic jam and take some headspace on the train, bus, or Luas.
- Turn off your Tech – no social media / TV / computers / Netflix etc. past 6pm. You’ll be surprised how much time you have for other good stuff.
- Learn to Swim – do adult lessons at your local authority pool or your sports club. It’s a skill for life.
Set your Goal
A New Year is a time for optimism and hope. Whether you run, swim, cycle, drop an activity or pickup a new one, set your goal and enjoy taking on the new year with focus and dedication!
Remember, a sense of success rarely comes from the daily task but builds up through consistently doing something positive. Kick-start your 2020 in a positive way and raise funds for 3Ts so we can actively work towards better mental health.
The Key to a Successful 30-Day Challenge as doing Something Achievable
Preparation is key
Preparation is everything when it comes to achieving goals. Before 1st January, take time to identify your 3Ts Challenge and, if you’re fundraising too, set up your online fundraising on either iDonate or Facebook. Make sure you have the right resources in place to help you achieve it.
So, if you’re doing 10,000-steps, try to make a list of all the daily opportunities that could help increase your step count. OR if you’re going vegan for the month, do a bit of research on how to fit a balanced vegan diet into your lifestyle, tie in your shopping with your menu planning and say hello to batch cooking…
Share with friends and family
Most importantly, make sure you share your 3Ts Challenge fundraiser across your social media and tell your friends and family. The more people who know about your challenge, the more people you have to encourage you and support the cause.
How do you decide on your Goals?
Start with what you enjoy. Write down five things you enjoy most but feel you never have time for. Avoid ‘big’ goals. Often, when we consider goals, we think they need to be huge or life-changing, and that can become overwhelming. A goal should be anything you want to do or achieve – big, small, fun, or completely random. Take this 30-day challenge to kick start your person goal and you never know, after the month is over you might want to keep it up!
If you are looking for 5 easy tips on how to identify and set goals, check out our blog post the SMART strategy: https://www.3ts.ie/blog/goals-what-are-you-aiming-for/
Tell us your story
Making good progress? Make sure you keep us updated! We’d love to hear from you.
- Register: to register for the 10,000 steps a day challenge, follow this link:
- More Info: for more information on what we do and why to fundraise for us, read more here.
- Setting up your Fundraiser: for information on how to set up your own personal #3TsChallenge Facebook Fundraiser, check out this link.
For any further information, please contact us by email: email@example.com, by phone +353 1 2139905 or by Facebook Messenger:@3tsSuicidePrevention